Saturday, January 16, 2010

Disc Golf




Today was my day off. On my days off I really like to play a great little game called Disc Golf. The picture below is of me when I made my one and only hole in one.


It definitely isn't as easy as it sounds. You are throwing a 6 inch disc 250-800 ft into a 2.5ft diameter basket. I am actually (NERD ALERT) a member of the Abilene Disc Golf Association. A few months ago I actually broke my finger, and was unable to play until just a couple of weeks ago.


That really had nothing to do with what I was saying, I just think that x-ray of my finger is really gnarly. And yes, I know that me even using the word gnarly makes me even more nerdy than being apart of the ADGA (I even abbreviated it HA).

The main point of this post is to say that there are 4 main reasons why the 2.5 people who read this should start playing Disc Golf.

1) It's Awesome and Relaxing. One of the main reasons that I like to play disc golf on my days off is because it is so relaxing. It is usually quiet. When I play alone I will listen to some good chill music, but even when you are with people it is still pretty quiet out there. You just walk around, throw your disc and relax, that is pretty awesome.

2) It's Easy to understand. It is the same rules as regular golf. Almost everything is a par 3 (there are a few exceptions). The goal is to throw your disc into the basket (or pin). Pretty simple.

3) Its cheap. Once you buy your discs it is actually free. Buy a couple of cheap discs, throw them in a backpack, and you are good to go.

4) All the cool kids are doing it. Okay, I know that this logic never worked with your parents. And usually when this line is used something illegal or immoral is going on. Not this time though, look  at these cool kids that are doing it...




(Okay these pictures may refute my "Cool Kids" theory but....whatever).





Here is what you need to do. Go buy some cheap discs (email me if you want to know where to get some). Find a disc golf course, we have 3 of them here in Abilene. Then have yourself a merry little time. You can thank me later.


3 comments: